Thursday, July 3, 2008

Coming Up for Air

Hello Happy Bloggers!! Three weeks ago Monday Marcus started the Police Academy. I knew going in that this was going to be a major commitment and something that would be tough, but worth it in the long run. Nothing however, could have prepaired me for the reality of his first week. The weekend before we had a "family day" where we met the instructors and got an idea of what the next six months would be like. It was all a little overwhelming, especially since they gave everyone a list and said "don't bother showing up Monday without all of the things on this list". Most of the rest of Saturday and Sunday was spend running around frantically to aquire said items. Thankfully Marcus's parents were here, and his mom went with him to hunt everything down so that we didn't have to drag Addison. Then came Monday. Since several days a week I work 11pm to 3am, and at the time Addison wasn't going to bed until around 11pm, her and I moved into my parents house for the first few days so that Marcus would be able to sleep. Here is a picture of the first few days: Sunday night I worked until 3am, came to our house, helped Marcus get ready and on his way(he gets up at 4 and has to be out of the house by 5:15), went back to my parents by 5am, slept till 9am, delt with Addie all day, Marcus came home around 5pm with another long list of things he needed, so it was off to Target before I went to work at 7pm and he went to bed. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday I did the exact same thing. Needless to say by Friday we were both totally exhausted and I was a little bit panicked about how in the world we were going to do this for six months, especially since I go back to school in September. Well, as the weeks have progressed it has gotten better. We have a routine, Addison is in bed by 9 and sleeps some mornings until 9, so Marcus is able to put her to bed and I am able to sleep in when I work late. Marcus has a lot of homework, he will have 39 college credits when this is said and done but it is manageable. I am finally starting to feel more human and not so much like a single parent. The housework is still all me, but I am getting into a good routine and not having to work as much. God has been faithful and I know this is His path for Marcus. I am excited at the change, and ready to see how God continues to help us through. Next week my dear friends from college Brandi, Abby and Krystal are coming for the week. It is our yearly summer tradition and this year my house is it! So, hopefully I will get some pictures and we will have lots of fun. Hope everyone has a good 4th of July!

1 comment:

Judy said...

I hope you have a good time with your friends next week. It will be good for you to have some help and to be able to spend a little time laughing with old friends. It sounds like things are crazy busy for you guys. Just hang in there, life just has seasons where you feel like you're barely hanging on. I know that we've had one of those seasons recently ourselves, but these are the times when God can really show himself strong on your behalf. Keep reading God's word for encouragement and make sure you're praying for each other and "this too shall pass." I'm so excited for Marcus and this new path he's taking. It will all be worth it in the end :)